Monday, August 31, 2009

The First Day of School

Today should be the day to post Madison's back to school photos. But instead her backpack sits sad and empty on the coathooks waiting for the teacher strike to end.
So we packed up some snacks and drinks and went over to the picket line in front of the school to say hello. Instead of meeting her teacher in the classroom, Madison met her on the picket lines. Not sure if that is appropriate or not, but not sure how else to deal with it. I have to say I LOVE her teacher and am so excited for school to start so she can have a great year. She has a great class of kids, a fantastic teacher and I just know it will be great IF it ever gets started.... Both sides seem to be playing hardball so I have no idea how long this will go on.

AND just to be fair I brought snacks to the office staff at the school too. They have been put in a really tough situation and it is certainly not the fault of anyone in the individual school offices. I have so many conflicted emotions about the whole strike and won't even go there on the blog. I just hope it can get resolved as quickly and peacefully as possible.
SOOOO instead, this is how we spent our day which was NOT the first day of school. I have a feeling there may be a few more of these to come. Still debating if we just keep it as summer vacation or try to get into a school routine.....

2 comments:

Andrea said...

HOW DISAPPOINTING! I was the type of kid who would have been SO sad. Hope it gets started soon!

katy said...

oh man. that stinks! hope it is resolved soon. hang in there!!