Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day

Another first day of school report, but this time I am reporting on TWO girls not just one. Nora has been so very anxious to start kindergarten since the day preschool was over. This was such a different experience than when Madison started, even though it is the same school, classroom and teacher. But with Madison we did not know anyone at the school, didn't know the teacher or any friends and had no idea what to expect. This time around Nora is MORE than comfortable with the school and teacher (in fact, I am a bit worried she may be a bit too comfortable with the situation). She has a best friend who is in her class along with other friends and acquantances from preschool, soccer and other activities. And I am so much more relaxed with knowing what is going on at the school and knowing she has big sister around to keep an eye on her.
With that said, it was a bittersweet day for me. Luckily the drop off was smooth since I had to rush to the PTA event I was hosting (welcome to the world of PTA president...). I didn't have time to dwell on the fact that my baby was not my baby anymore. But later I arrived home to an empty and quiet house and had a bit of a cry at being done with a the years of being a mommy to a baby, toddler, preschooler..... Don't get me wrong, I know she has so many exciting new adventures awaiting her and I am not one to hold my girls back. And I know I will find plenty of things to occupy my 2.5 hours of daily kid-free time. But it is still sad to think of being done with one chapter of mommyhood. But now it is time to move forward and embrace the journey ahead. Madison had a great day in third grade and is excited for the upcoming year. She has a fantastic teacher and we all ready have our first field trip scheduled for three weeks from Friday! I think it is going to be a wonderful year for her. You know things are getting serious when you have a protractor and compass on your supply list and you get cut down to 2 recesses from 3!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Enjoy the "free" time. :0) Your girls are adorable! Happy school year!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!! (for all of you). These pictures, I'm printing. Look at those grins. Peggy

Andrea said...

So cute. I love Nora's outfit. I'm glad you survived :)